As we near the festive season and start making plans to go on long-awaited holidays, we also have to ensure that our properties and valuables are kept safe until our return. Yes, a bit of a dampening thought, but with the right preparation it can make for a much less daunting exercise.
Here are our tips on keeping your home safe over the festive season:
- Firstly, check that your alarm system is working properly before you go on holiday. If you don’t yet have one, install one! A good alarm system will ensure the safety of your house and its occupants as well as catching a potential perpetrator red-handed.
- If your budget allows it, install a camera system. With today’s technology you can even monitor activity on your property from a smartphone. It’s as simple as that.
- Avoid leaving an out-of-town message on your answering machine, door or post box, or advertising that you are going away on social media.
- Make sure your valuables are safely locked away in a safe. A smarter idea might be to put your belongings in an inconspicuous place that would never even be an option to look at such as a pantry cupboard or storeroom.
- Leave a spare key with a family member or friend. They can make routine visits to your house to take care of your plants, take in the mail etc. while you’re away. This would give potential perpetrators the impression that someone is home. Or better yet, hire a house sitter!
- Never leave tools in your garden or an unlocked garden shed that would help intruders break into your home.
- Close and lock all windows and doors and ensure all windows have burglar guards.
- Fit suitable locks and bolts to all sliding doors as a means to prevent burglars from lifting the glass off its tracks – the most common method for break-ins.
- Advertise boldly that your house is monitored by a security system. The bigger the sign, the better.
Once you’ve taken care of the basics, your mind will be much more at ease ready to take on a carefree holiday!
For more information on ensuring the safety of your home, or to receive helpful advice contact Broubart Security on 043 743 0975. We’re in the business of giving you peace of mind!